Tuesday, November 19, 2013

DIY Tie-Dye Crayons

If you’ve spent time with me these last 11 months, you know that I’ve become a crayon hoarder. I’ve been diligently peeling and bagging, by color, our crayon rejects (the broken or dull, restaurant freebies, ect.). Since I had collected two shoebox-sized tubs, I decided it was time to get to work and bake some tie-dye crayons.

I used a mini muffin pan filled with broken crayon chunks and baked them in our oven at 275F for approximately 10 ten minutes. It’s best to watch your tray closely; since I was using various brands they melted anywhere from 8-15 minutes a batch. I also recommend coating your tray heavily with vegetable oil for easy removal. It took me a couple tries to perfect my method. Once your crayons are melted, carefully place the pan in the fridge to cool and harden. Make sure they are completely cool before you try to remove them.

I’m very happy with our end product:

2 comments:

  1. Thank you; I love them. They’re going to be great for school favors and birthday parties.

    ReplyDelete